Monday, September 08, 2014

If I Could Change One Thing....

If I could change one thing in my present life, it would be my career/job. I am really struggling in this job--I should have done more research into it before I started. But then again, I kind of quit my previous job without having a back up plan, so I pretty much had to take this one.

It's not only the job, it's my entire career I'm struggling with right now. I just want out. I feel like I made a horrible mistake in choosing this career, but I think there was a time I may have actually enjoyed it. I wish I'd done more research, and if I had, I'd probably have figured out it doesn't mesh with my personality.

I work in healthcare. I've worked in hospital settings, and now I work in home care. With this job, there is selling involved, and I do not enjoy that part of it at all. If I could just focus on the clinical, I probably wouldn't dislike my job quite a much as I do, but who knows. There are expectations that I just can't follow through on.

My motivation is so low, it's hard to get anything done. Some days, I can't even do the simplest of tasks. As I mentioned in my intro post, I do believe this job contributes to my depression quite a lot, and that compounds the issues.

I know I need a change. My psychiatrist and counsellor both believe the same thing. But financially I'm stuck here until I can find something with at least the same pay scale.And living in a rural area, that's not an easy task. I've even thought about moving to a city, but when I look at job listings there I still don't see anything I'm qualified for.

Some ideas I do have, which I will probably go into detail about in future posts are: jewelry design, freelancing, web design, assisting some local businesses with their social media, etc.  The challenges are that I just started making jewelry, and so not everything I make works out the way I want it to. I haven't been writing much, so I don't have a portfolio to try to get freelance jobs, and I really don't know anything about web design. I purchased a couple of books a while back to try to teach myself, but I haven't been consistent with my reading. And until I do more of all of these things, they're just hobbies, not anything I can make money with. Real money, anyway. I do have an Etsy shop set up with my mom, and there's a little craft store I've taken some items to and I guess I've sold a couple of items (I'll be getting my cheque tonight probably).
But again, I need to get more photos of our items up on Etsy, and do a better job at editing the photos.

Well, I know this post is sounding a bit negative, but I'm excited and hopeful. I have started making goals and plans, which is more than I've been able to do in a long time. If I put in the effort, I should be able to make some of these things work for me.

If there was one thing you could change in your life, what would it be? Please do leave a comment, I'd love to read your thoughts.

Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment